Wednesday, 25 July 2012

Calm before the storm

For the past few days and for the next week we have my brother-in-law Don and his sweetie Becki and her 13 year old son Andrew here visiting from Ontario.  It's been nice so far although getting time off work for Rob has been a bit of a struggle.  Thankfully, my employer is a bit more flexible, however I'm in one of those hourly jobs where if you don't show up for work, you don't get paid.  So I have to go in a couple mornings a week just so I don't get sticker shock on my next paycheque.  The weekend after Don & Becki leave we are heading out to the Canadian archery championships in British Columbia for 10 days so this is a bit of a calm before the "getting ready to go" storm.

On Sunday everyone went down to the Halifax waterfront to take in some of the Tall Ships festival.  Most everyone seemed to enjoy looking around on the ships, except Don, who I didn't realize gets queasy even standing on the deck of a ship until after I bought him a boarding bracelet!  Ah well, he was a good sport waiting for the rest of us while we poked around the ships.  He did make it aboard the Eagle (the largest ship there, belonging to the US Coast Guard) and got to look around on that one and he did great crossing the Harbour from Dartmouth to Halifax and vice versa on the passenger ferry without tossing his cookies.  All in all a good day.

Theodore Tugboat was giving $2 rides across the harbour!  We steered clear and went over on the larger Metro ferries because we figured Donnie would turn a lovely shade of green and then lose his lunch over the side.  Not a good sight for all Theodore loving kiddos. 

Theodore Tugboat.  Photo credit Becki Wilson

Becki had picked up a few touristy type brochures at the visitor info center at the Nova Scotia border.  One of the brochures was for the Nova Scotian Crystal store/gallery.  Since we happened to be over there for the Tall Ships we thought we'd poke our heads in and see if they were blowing any of the crystal.  We got to see one of the workers loading up the kiln (?) but then he left shortly after, closing the observation doors.  So we didn't get to see anything.  We did poke around the gallery/store.  Don fell in love with some crystal beer glasses but at $99 each they can keep them.  I mean...really??   Too rich for us.

Looking into the work area of the NS Crystal gallery.   Photo credit Beck Wilson

Here is Drew (Andrew) posing for his mom on the deck of one of the ships.  I am not sure which one this was however I think it was on the Eagle.  He's a great kid.

Photo credit Becki Wilson

This is Matt & Ben (my boys) taking turns at the gun on board the HMCS Sackville, Canada's last Navy Corvette from WWII.

Photo credit Becki Wilson

Just some more pictures.  I love the masts and sails.

Drew trying to climb the wave.   He made it on his second try.

Last but not least...the giant pumpkin gun!  No, I didn't see it fire.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like they enjoyed their day, even the land lover! I was fortunate to be given a blown glass christmas ornament last year from NS Crystal. Would never have spent the money myself, but I received it from great group of folks and treasure it - memories of good times!Good luck on the archery trip!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to leave a comment and say "Hi". I love hearing from people and reading what you have to say!